People with neck and shoulder issues often have their pain return before their next massage appointment. Work, play and children all make demands on the body. A dull ache can quickly turn into a burning pain especially while folding laundry, doing yard work, playing on the computer or any of the other million things you do.
What can you do between professional massage appointments to relive neck and shoulder pain? *
- Take short breaks as often as you can if you sit at a computer all day. Move your shoulders around and s-t-r-e-t-c-h!
- Do the “Hokey-Pokey!” If you have a job where you sit all day your body is begging for you to get up! Maybe you can’t dance around but you can certainly move around whenever you start to feel those burning pains.
- Are you “hands free” yet? Holding your hand to your head to talk on the phone for long periods of time is killing your shoulders. You know what I’m talking about, your shoulder burns when you do it, right? Or you hold the phone between your cheek and your shoulder. Not much better. Invest in a hands-free device ASAP! Sure, they look funny but many of your painful symptoms will disappear quickly. There are many employers who will make the switch for the office phone if you just ask. This goes for your personal phone, too. Get the device, your neck will thank you 🙂
- Self-massage. Try it, you might be surprised how much it helps!
- Take a look at the muscles of the neck and shoulders. Sometimes knowing where they are and how they work can help you readjust your movements to feel better.
*Yes, I write some of these suggestions many times on this blog but neck and shoulder pain is a big deal around here. I get asked questions about this all the time so I write about it frequently. I want to help in any way I can 🙂
What are some things that you do to relieve pain between massages?
#18 of Business Blogging Challenge: 31 posts in 31 days